Monday, September 19, 2011

Ecclesiastes 3

This is a passage I've been pondering lately due to some things going on in my life - some related to the death of my brother...some completely unrelated. I just love the way that this begins, "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." How amazingly that fits my life right now. Lately, I've been battling this feeling that there is a season ending in my life. A season that I have loved for many years, and I've been having this feeling that it is ending, and I don't like it. I don't want this to end - I want things to stay the same.

But, there comes a problem with things staying the same - it does not leave room for growth in Christ. Forcing things to stay the same when God is telling you to move on only makes you miserable. Like He has said, "For everything there is a season..." it is just learning how to let a season go when it has been one that you've looked to for stability.

This summer, as most of you know, has been the worst summer of my life. I've had to endure things that I never wanted to endure, and I'm living proof that God sometimes throws a curve ball and you just have to fly with it as it takes you somewhere unknown. The ride may hurt and it might be frightening, but it will be worth it - or, at least, that's what I have to believe to stay afloat through all of this. During this time of the unknown and difficult path, I have wanted to stay connected to the comfortable things, but I'm learning now that my life is not supposed to be comfortable. I, as a Christian, am called to leave my comfort zone to serve God.

"For everything there is a season..."

I'm beginning to look forward to the next season (spiritually and literally - I'm SO ready for fall!) I do not know what the next season is going to hold, but I'm looking into a few options. Options that may take me away from the wonderfully beautiful Pacific Northwest. As much as I want to stay where it is comfortable because I like my job and I love being so close to my mom, I need to look outside my comfort zone - I need to follow God's plan. I need to be willing to let this chapter close - let this season end. Just like summer here in the PNW, the season needs to let go and give way to the next - not just keep rearing its ugly head.

"For EVERYTHING there is a season..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

honestly, i feel like we're in a similiar place. i've loved working in camp ministry but i've noticed that my heart isn't in it like it used to be. i'm thankful where i am for the fall season but i do feel that it's time to move on to something else. God knows what the next step is and no matter how crazy or scary it might be, it's going to bring Him glory and draw us closer to Him. and that is something worth taking a risk for.

kimberly said...

isn't it funny how we sort of all came to this "seasonal change" around the same time? i totally get what you guys are talking about...