Thursday, September 01, 2011

Excuse the random post here.

Read at your own risk - this is kind of random, but it is something that has been rolling around in my head for a while, and I feel that it is time to let it out.


"Hey, Chels, you and that guy would look really cute together!"

"Hey, Chels, I have this [relative/coworker/friend/acquaintance] who is about your age. I think the two of you would REALLY hit it off. Can I give him your number so you can get coffee sometime?"

"Chels, I've noticed that you and John* are spending a lot of time together. What's going on there? Is there something that I should know about? I mean, you even spend a lot of time with the whole family!"



These are just a few of the statements that come across my path more regularly than I would like. Apparently there is something wrong with being 26, single, serving God, and content. Apparently I'm supposed to be on some hunt for the perfect guy...even though God is the One who controls that.

My roommate and I are in the same boat - we know people mean well, but for some reason, it is confusing to them that we are completely happy and content with where God has us in our lives. We are not hermits - we go out and do things. We have a unique opportunity with where we are to serve God in ways that we would not be able to if we were married. We are happy with our lives right now, and we are content knowing that this could be God's plan for our lives.

So, to you single women who are happy and content in God's plan for you, stay strong. You are not alone in this. Leave your email address in a comment and I'd be glad to talk with you about how I got to where I am - I'd be happy to offer encouragement to you with where you are in life. It is a hard road to get here - and even harder if you feel like you are alone. My roommate and I have had many conversations about how we would have a much harder time if we didn't have each other.

And, to you, married, happy, and wanting others to be the same, can you understand that we are happy? Can you understand that we are content with God's plan for our lives? Those of us who are single have more criteria for a future spouse than "single" - there is more that I want from my possible future husband. If you say that my standards are too high, I will say that God does not think so and He will bring a man into my life who fits my standards if He chooses to bring a man into my life. I know you mean well, but you are the people who make being single hard. We are so happy for you in your lives - we love rejoicing with you about what God is doing in your little families! We just want a little understanding from you about us. We are happy - we are content. Please respect that.

So, to answer your questions, "Yes, maybe our faces would look good together, but do you know anything about his character? That's what I'm more interested in."

"No, you cannot give your [relative/coworker/friend/acquaintance] my phone number. No, I do not want to meet a guy that way. God will cross our paths if we are meant to meet."

"Yes, John* and I are good friends, and yes we spend a lot of time together. No, there is nothing going on there. No, I'm not sitting around wishing that there was something going on there. Yes, I like his family. No, I'm not spending time with them because I think they are going to be the future in-laws."

*Name changed for confidentiality.


Thank you for not minding my little rant - it is just something that has been on my mind for about a year...actually longer...we're being honest in this post. I thought it would be good to get it out and maybe we can all move on with life.

4 comments:

Eva said...

My friends are in this boat, too. and though I'm now married, I remember being there as well. I try to make it so the only time I speak up to a friend about this subject is if they start expressing the desire for a relationship.
good post! :)

http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

yeah i know how you feel. it seems that everyone thinks that being single is terrible. why is being single so awful even if it's God's plan for us to be single? even if it's just for now, it's okay. God can still use us and still can bless us.

besides, for all we know, your future spouse may not be ready for you yet either.

kimberly said...

totally agreed. that's definitely the first question my grandmother asks every time i see her. "you seeing anybody yet?" i'm tempted to answer, "yeah, i was, but then his parole got revoked, so now i only see him during visiting hours..." once she tried to set me up with her pastor's son {creepy} and last time i saw her, she gave me dating "advice".

and fyi -- wasn't the great apostle paul single, content, and in fact wishful that more were in his shoes? put that in your pipe and smoke it.

chels said...

Thanks for the awesome feedback, ladies!

Eva - you sound like those women I love to have in my life - the ones that understand that putting pressure isn't going to make the relationship they desire to see happen.

Jenn - I would love to talk with you in person about all of this! You should come visit me soon, okay? And, about the future spouse not being ready yet, I totally agree - what if neither of us is ready? I have a friend who just got married, and she's almost 30. I still have a few years to go there. :)

Kim - as always, you make me laugh with your comments. Yes, Paul was single, and yes, he did desire for more people to remain single. Love you, and still hoping for March!